Friday, November 30, 2012

Starting points

I can't help it.

I'm postmodern.

It's an inescapable fact of location, as profound and mundane as my roots in the deserts of Arizona, my SoCal sojournings, and my current residence in the semi-urban jungles of North Houston.

I'm postmodern.

It doesn't mean I don't believe in truth. It doesn't even mean that I don't believe in certainty and knowledge. It just means that I live in the year 2012, and the jig is up for modernism.

That's okay. It never was a very good foundation anyway.

But Jesus is the same in every age, and his truth stands above the lies, confusions, and blind spots of every generation.

And I'm so glad for the ancient witness of people like St. Augustine, who can help us understand what it means be earnest truth-seekers and disciples of Jesus... even though we can't be modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment