Saturday, December 29, 2012

More Pseudoku

Five, seven, and five:
not really haiku, but still 
a good exercise.

Okay, so maybe I'm not really done with my "haiku" streak.  I feel a little bit sheepish, because I know full well that for the most part, what I'm doing isn't actually haiku at all. It's really just the standard grade-school exercise loosely based on the Japanese poetic form.

But you know what? It's a really, really good exercise.

It was good practice back then, and it's good practice now.

Also? It's fun. It's a great way to gripe about headaches...

When the light show fades,
I know that there will be pain.
For now, it's pretty.

... and to make report card comments more interesting, although I obviously can't share any of those.

Mostly though, it's just a way to hold onto ideas as I struggle to develop them out into essays and sonnets...

Undeserved and free,
grace poured out in the measure
of our own ladles.

...

Star of bitterness,
glistening with Rachel's tears;
Mage's salvation.

...

Tears and stories spill
from broken alabaster,
collapse together.

So I keep on plugging at my little game of "pseudoku"--enjoying it for what it is, all the while hoping every once in a while to find

a tiny image,
crafted out of syllables
to trap a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment